Challenge 1 of 0
Cuts and Thrusts – Practice
10 minutes – Explore cutting from Posta Longa and then Posta Breve.
- Practice ribbon cuts from Posta Longa.
- With the arms extended in posta longa, alternate between mandritto fendente and roverso fendente with the ribbon cut preparation.
- Start with targeting either side of the head (you can use a target or post as well).
- Then, work your way down the body striking the shoulders and the thighs.
- Integrate a passing step or a lunge with each cut. You can also move around your target as you do so.
- Practice the direct cut from Posta Breve (also called a “spinto”).
- Turn the hands onto the line of the cut and then strike forward into your target.
- You can step directly back after striking or slice and then step back.
- Ensure you’re putting a solid forward pressure into your target by both lunging/passing into the target and by holding the sword firmly in place with the pommel hand.
- Practice circular (stramazzone) preparations from Posta Longa and Posta Breve.
- Start in Posta Longa and cut a mandritto fendente, a roverso fendente, a mandritto sottano, and a roverso sottano.
- Then, change to Posta Breve and cut the same combination. Then return to Posta Longa and repeat.
- Alternate between targets such as either side of the head or jaw, shoulders, underarms or flanks (particularly with rising cuts) and thighs (with descending cuts).
- Integrate passing steps, lunges, and offline movement. Ensure you are always extending the sword ahead of your body.