Challenge 1 of 0
Exchanging Full Tempos – Practice
5 minutes – Take time to explore the concept of tempos as units.
- What types of actions can you do in one tempo?
- How many tempos is it to lunge and recover?
- Can you lunge and recover in four tempos?
5 minutes – Play the Exchanging Full Tempos game.
- Sides can be called by a third person or by one of the players of the game.
- Some further examples of actions that can be taken in a given turn:
- Advance, retreat, step right, step left.
- Half of a passing step (a full pass would take two turns).
- Changing guard (in place or while stepping).
- Striking with a lunge (can include a disengage provided you move forward throughout the disengage).
- If you do not hit your opponent at the end of a lunge, you must remain there until it is your turn to move again.
- This game is largely about staying out of measure from your partner. More advanced versions of this game follow.