Challenge 1 of 0
How to Hold the Rapier – Practice
- 10 minutes – Experiment with ways of holding the rapier.
- Try different grips
- Try two fingers over the quillon.
- Try one finger over (what is described).
- Hold the grip deeply in the hand.
- Hold the grip further toward the ends of your fingers.
- In the grips, experiment with the following movements:
- A sawing or chopping motion.
- A thrusting movement with the point.
- Circling the point.
- Rolling your hand from palm-up to palm down.
- Be sure to try these maneuvers with the grip shown in the video.
- Regularly examine your grip.
- To do the grip well takes finger and hand strength that is typically not present at the beginning of one’s learning.