Challenge 1 of 0
Maintaining Control at the Forte – Practice
5 minutes – Responding to a yield and return to the sword. 10 times on the inside and outside.
- Practice both the cavatione under and over the partner’s sword. Experiment to find which are best in which circumstance.
- Be sure to make your cavatione before your partner makes contact.
- Don’t rush to strike them, be sure to cover their weapon and acquire the three advantages. Your partner can test this by attempting to bring their weapon back on line, pressing in to your sword.
5 minutes – Responding to a yield and cut to you. 10 times on the inside and outside.
- Be sure to point your sword into their cut, aiming at their mezza spada.
- Follow with your point first, then turn your edge.
- Extend your arms to keep their sword further from your body. Keep your hilt close to your centreline.
5 minutes – Practice tactical response to actions at the forte.
- Either start at the forte or begin with an approach through each crossing (as shown in the lesson).
- Have your partner then yield to cut to your sword, to your body, or simply hold the yielding position. Work to respond as efficiently as possible to the cue.