Maintaining Control at the Mezza Spada – Practice
5 minutes – Practice volta stabile in response to cavatione, continuing on to strike the opponent. 10 times on the inside and 10 times on the outside.
- You can choose to simply start at the mezza spada crossing, or do the approach with the disengage as shown in the lesson.
- Be sure to move with the point first and to keep your hilt as close to your centreline as possible.
- Turn the edge to follow the opponent’s weapon but keep your control oriented downward.
- Continue moving your weapon forward, by extending your arms and then stepping, while you maintain control.
5 minutes – Practice cutting over in response to volta stabile, continuing on to strike the opponent. 10 times on the inside and 10 times on the outside.
- As above, you can choose to start at the mezza spada or begin with an approach.
- Be sure to cut over the point of their sword before you begin moving forward.
- Stay as close to their point as possible.
- Use your pommel hand to conduct the cut over, do not lift your hilt.