Challenge 1 of 0
Postures of Longsword Combat – Practice
5 minutes – Practice moving between the four “quadrant” positions.
- Posta di Donna / Lady’s Position (upper right)
Posta di Donna Sinestra / Lady’s Position on the Left (upper left)
Dente al Cinghiara / Boar’s Tooth (lower left)
Porta di Ferro / Iron Gate (lower righter)
- Practice moving the sword from one side of the body to the other and switching your lead foot as you do so.
- Try to form the positions as accurately to the video as possible. Stay relaxed as you do so.
- Experiment with the actions shown from each position in the video.
- How you form the positions is a central part of good sword practice. Take time to review how you hold your positions against the reference video.
- Have a partner examine your position or use a mirror or video camera to help you examine your own positions.
- Make sure that your sword is in the correct place and that your body is in proper alignment.
- Practice moving your sword between positions but also practice moving around a room while holding one specific position.