Challenge 1 of 0
Primo Tempo Drill – with Protection – Practice
5 minutes – Practice the primo tempo drill while gaining (with protective gear).
- The target partner approaches without finding your sword. You find, gain, and strike in primo tempo.
- The target attempts to step backward as you strike to test your success at primo tempo.
- The target can also apply pressure to your sword to ensure that you have found and gained properly.
5 minutes – Practice the primo tempo drill while disengaging and gaining (with protective gear).
- The target partner approaches while finding your sword. You disengage under their sword, find in the opposite line, gain, and strike.
- The target attempts to step backward and/or apply pressure as you attack to test your timing and gaining.
- Start slow and develop the mechanic of the disengage. The point of your sword must move forward the entire time so that it moves in a spiral shape.
- Make sure you bring your point over your opponent’s sword after you disengage to acquire the advantage of crossing. This is the most important of the three advantages to acquire to be safe and succeed at the exercise.