Challenge 1 of 0
Wrist Cuts – Practice
- 5 minutes – Maneuvering the shield around the extended arm
- Extend your sword arm into porta di ferro alta, then join it with your buckler.
- Practice moving the sword between different extended positions, while moving the buckler over and under the arm to protect the arm on body on both sides.
- Use the lesson video and a mirror as guidance and feedback while you experiment.
- 5 minutes – Cutting the wrist cutting pattern
- 10 reps.
- If you want a challenge try to cut the pattern with the sword and shield in the opposite hands. It may feel clumsy at the start, but you’ll get it!
- Ensure that you are
- maximizing the cover of the shield while accommodating the sword’s path.
- keeping the arms extended.
- keeping the hand protected behind the buckler.
- keeping both wrists in close proximity (you could imagine that you are in handcuffs or have your wrists loosely tied).
- Make cutting around the shield with shoulder, elbow, and wrist cuts a part of your regular practice.
- Practice patterns where you alternate between shoulder, elbow and wrist cuts.
- Practice making wrist cuts in different directions being constantly aware of the shield position.
- Spend time without a buckler to focus on keeping the arm extended in wrist cuts and also ensuring you are turning your hand over at the appropriate time to avoid wrist strain.